Why You Should Treat Damp Immediately in Your HomeSeptember 22, 2017
If you notice mould on the walls inside your home, this is an indication that damp is penetrating your house. Damp can have several consequences and can affect your health. Mould and damp can occur in any house and can cause grave breathing diseases or illnesses.
Rigorous maintenance, proper ventilation, and damp-proof products can help you fight damp and mould. Since our homes need to breathe through the porous materials used in floors, roofs, and walls, they need constant air circulation. A poor ventilation system will often cause damp, condensation, and leaks.
Who Is Affected by Damp?
Mould and damp increase the risks of developing respiratory problems, infections, asthma or allergies. They can also have an effect on the immune system, leaving it weaker and more susceptible to infections.
Damp can affect everyone but some are more sensitive than others:
- New-borns and small children;
- People with existing respiratory issues like asthma or allergies;
- People with a weak immune system.
- People with existing skin issues, like eczema.
How Does Damp Affect Your Health?
Mould appears as a consequence of dampness or condensation. It produces allergens, irritants, and even toxic substances. All of these can potentially trigger an allergic reaction. A person who comes in contact with mould spores either by touching or inhaling them can experience a runny nose, sneezing, skin rashes, and red, itchy eyes. In more severe cases, mould will also trigger asthma episodes.
What Causes Damp and Mould?
Excess moisture in your house will lead to damp and mould on the walls. Moisture can appear because of different factors:
- a damaged roof or window frame that is letting in rain;
- leaking pipes;
- rising damp in ground floors or basements.
Damp and mould can affect both old and new houses. In the latter case, the house can be damp if the water used during the building process is still drying. If you notice damp or mould within your home, it’s essential to find out where the excess moisture is coming from. As soon as you pinpoint the reason, you will be able to make the necessary repairs to restore the perfect humidity levels in your home. Small amounts of mould can be removed with a simple DIY. However, if larger surfaces are affected, you might need the help of a professional who will remove all the mould and talk to you about prevention methods.
Rising damp is not easy to spot because it occurs below the floor level. However, as it progresses, it will become apparent and easy to notice. The simplest way to detect rising damp is by inspecting the area above skirting boards. Rising damp can be very dangerous for both your house and your health. If it is not handled efficiently, the damp will damage the wood structure and even bricks or concrete.This entry was posted in Latest News. Bookmark the permalink. ← C Mortiboys Testimonial Mrs Shaikh →