Damp Proofing Services Leicester, Loughborough & Melton Mowbray
With 40 years of experience Injecta are experts in a wide variety of Damp Proofing Services and different types of rising damp. Injecta provide all the following services throughout Leicester, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Hinckley and Melton Mowbray.
Cellar Damp Proofing
Damp is one of the most frequent problems encountered in the home (cellar damp proofing is the most frequent). There are three major causes of damp, (rising damp, penetrating damp and condensation) which each require a different remedy. Whatever the cause, damp can be bad for health and therefore it is important that you get advice if you think you are affected. We can send out a damp proofer from our skilled team to help you with the problem.
Damp Proofing Work
Types of Damp
Woodworm holes found in timber are caused by the larvae of beetles that feed on the timber. Larger holes on the surface of the timber are formed when the adult beetle emerges from the timber to mate.
There are a number of species of woodworm, and the precise method of treatment will depend on which species is attacking the timber.
By far the most common species of woodworm in the UK is the Common Furniture Beetle (Anobium punctatum). Other types of woodworm common to the UK include the Deathwatch Beetle (Xestobium rufuvillosum), the House Longhorn Beetle (Hylotrupes bajulus), and the Powderpost beetle (Lyctus brunneus). Whilst the Powderpost Beetle can be treated in much the same way as the Common Furniture Beetle, House Longhorn and Deathwatch beetle infestations require more extensive treatment
Feel free to contact us, so we can find the best solution for you.
Typical indications of dry rot include:
- Wood shrinks, darkens and cracks in a 'cuboidal' manner.
- A silky grey to mushroom coloured skin frequently tinged with patches of lilac and yellow often develops under less humid conditions. This 'skin' can be peeled like a mushroom.
- White, fluffy 'cotton wool' mycelium develops under humid conditions. 'Teardrops' may develop on the growth.
- Strands develop in the mycelium; these are brittle and when dry and crack when bent.
- Fruiting bodies are a soft, fleshy pancake or bracket with an orange-ochre surface. The surface has wide pores.
- Rust red coloured spore dust frequently seen around fruiting bodies.
- Active decay produces a musty, damp odour.
Timber can become damp for a number of reasons. Among the most common causes are leaking washing machines, shower trays, baths, condensation etc.. The dampness can also come from outside the building, for example, leaking roofs, rising dampness, or dampness penetrating through walls. Whatever, the source of the dampness, if it is rectified and the timber allowed to properly dry out, the dry rot will eventually be controlled.
Dry rot can cause widespread structural damage. If you suspect dry rot contact us today for a free survey and we will identify the problem and effectively treat it.
High levels of contaminant hygroscopic salts can build up in both the old plaster/underlying masonry over many years of active rising dampness. Even though many of our other the damp-proof courses are effective the hygroscopic nature of the salts may cause moisture to be attracted to the wall so causing further dampness, decorative spoiling, and giving the impression that the damp-proof course has not been successful.
Removal of the old contaminated plasterwork will remove the contamination at the surface but underlying contamination may pass into new works unless it is designed to be resistant to the passage of residual moisture and these contaminant salts.
Our high level of work will always ensure that:
- It will prevent the passage of residual moisture reaching the decorative surface during the drying process which can take some considerable time as well as control the limitations of the injection system itself.
- It will prevent the passage of hygroscopic salts from the underlying masonry to the new decorative surface to prevent further spoiling.
Any Problem Solved
Whether the problem is rising damp, penetrating damp, rain penetration, defective drains, damage caused by leaking plumbing, condensation or actual flooding, we have the solution. Injecta Services have been established since 1978 and has a reputation as being the most thorough and professional Leicester damp course company.